Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Pay Day

You do things in life because you think it is the right thing to do, and sometimes do not understand the importance or impact of what you do. Sometimes you find out, and that is a "pay day" for your volunteer service. Yesterday was such a day for me.

I received a wonderful card from one of the scouts I have worked closely with over the years. Here is what he wrote inside the card.

Dear Mr. Golrick,

Ever since I first joined Troop 68, you have been there. You've been there to teach and guide the troop. Your knowledge and wisdom have been an inspiration for all of us.

I will always remember how you helped my patrol fix the mess we were calling beef stew on our first trip to Webb Mountain. Our trip up to Maine was a great adventure that I will never forget. You were a major part of my turning from a troublesome boy into a leadership capable young man.

Your leaving the troop is one of the hardest thing to ever happen to it. Although nobody will ever fill your shoes, maybe one of these days we will find someone with the spirit to try.

I am sorry I wasn't able to come down to your surprise party last week.

You might be glad to know that all your grammar and personal management lessons haven't gone to waste. They have given me a leg up in my business classes. Hopefully I'll see you again real soon.

Yours in scouting.
While I think that there others who will step up and do the jobs I have done in the troop....I appreciate incredibly the sentiment. When I read this note (on a very nice card, I got a tingle through my body, and a tear in my heart. While I was trying to do something good, much of what I did was because I was having fun.

What a pay day!

No comments:

Post a Comment