Sunday, March 29, 2009

Blast from the past


A few weeks ago, I saw an announcement from the East Baton Rouge Public Parish Library that "Dr." Michael Bielawa would be presenting a program on baseball. Well, I thought, "Is that the same MB who worked for me at Bridgeport Public Library and wrote a book about Louisiana baseball (oh, and Bridgeport baseball, too)?"

Emails followed, and yes it was "my" Michael B. When I was City Librarian there (2000 - 2006) he was head of Community Relations, and along with Michael R, would sometimes "cover" the office.

Well, this morning, I got a call, and we met for coffee (along with his charming, artist wife Janice) at PJ's on Maple Street. [I think this is the original PJ's location.] We had a great hour plus of reminiscing and catching up. [Shout out here to all my BPL friends...we talked about you. In so many ways I miss you, but I am enjoying my new life.] There was some sadness in hearing about the difficulties at BPL, but I also know that all of you are strong competent people who will survive!

I am in a better place for me, and am happy. Check with Michael B when he gets back!


[Edited on Monday, 3/30 to add links and correct the name of the EBRPL.]

No comments:

Post a Comment