Friday, February 23, 2007

Our next ALA President? [Post 200!]

I haven't mentioned much about the ALA Presidential Campaign this year. It is the first time I have been in a position where I felt I could actively campaign for a candidate. For my first seven years on ALA Council I was the Connecticut Chapter Councilor, and I felt that an important part of my role was to promote ALA, and get information from all the candidates to my constituents, the librarians of Connecticut. For the past three years I was on the ALA Executive Board. Since the winner of the election would join me on that body, if I actively campaigned for the person who did not win, I was concerned that might affect the working relationship needed to get the best results for ALA.

This year is different, and I am actively supporting Jim Rettig for President. I will do a later post with more reasons to support Jim, but his post about pending state legislation on Twilight Librarian (his personal blog) demonstrates his thoughtful and articulate nature as well as his willingness to speak up. I believe he will be a truly GREAT ALA President.

In a final personal note, this is the 200th post on this blog. Who would have thought that I would have gotten this far. Thanks to Rochelle and Jessamyn who both helped me get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment