Monday, August 27, 2007

Library 2.0: Different visions

In reading my Bloglines (no, I have not looked at Bloglines Beta yet), I found two interesting and contrasting posts.

David Lee King proposes a revision to his visual presentation of a Library and Library 2.0 ideas. While his first showed a spectrum, and placed people and ideas along that spectrum, the two dimensionality of the line does not reflect what the whole Library 2.0 movement is about.

At the same time, the Annoyed Librarian writes her posts under an anonymous pseudonym. [This bugs John N. Berry III, and I guess that is why I like it!] Some of Annoyed's posts are about the public, and there is more than a little sarcasm thrown in. On the other hand, how many of us, at one time or another, have not had (but not expressed) thoughts just like Annoyed? Not so many hands raised. This time Annoyed hits the mark (or at least a little closer) with "The Cult of the Twopointopia." It is not "either/or," I like to think of it as "both/and." We have new tools, we need to use them.

I will note, that Annoyed does use a healthy (well, maybe even more than a healthy) dose of sarcasm in her writing. But don't let that put you off. I think most folks dealing with Library 2.0 issues are somewhere between the two extremes of feelings on the topic.

3 comments:

  1. I've commented on my blog, but basically I've concluded, well, you're wrong and I'm right. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you're using Bloglines anyways, if not the Beta. Bet you didn't know you had a Bloglines developer subscribed to your blog :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,

    As you know, we sometimes disagree, but always with respect. I'll read and think more about what you said.

    Bjorn,

    One of the cool things about blogs is that you never know who you touch! I'll be checking out beta when my personal life settles down more (see my more recent posts).

    ReplyDelete