Sunday, December 24, 2006

Lacunae; Day 3 on the Road; Moving and photos

Well, it has been a bit. I finally posted the two post I had written about Day 2 on the road to Eau Claire. I have a photoset in Flickr with photos of the move including the first day at work (and more snow).

I spent the second night on the road with Nann Blaine Hilyard. I took a couple of photos of Chicago's skyline as I sat in rush hour traffic. I clearly need more practice at this type of photo.

The photos with the material in bins and on shelves were taken in her basement where she has an incredible set up for doing all kinds of quilting. She also has a great old card catalog cabinet which came from a library in Maine. She stores odds and ends in it. We woke up the next morning to the December 1 blizzard which hit Chicago and Milwaukee. You can see the car sitting in the driveway before we shoveled.

I headed out mid-morning, and drove through the snow. The Interstates were generally manageable. I stopped at one point, and wound up being interviewed by a Milwaukee TV station about why I was driving through the storm. Between Milwaukee and Madison, the snow ended, and eventually disappeared. I stopped at a rest area to brush off the trailer (and snapped a photo first). Next to me was a semi whose driver was from Coventry CT! We chatted briefly before heading out again.

There are photos of the sparsely furnished one-bedroom apartment with my stuff inside. The closet in the bed room is huge, and will hide a great deal of my "stuff." As of today, the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen are in great shape. The large living/dining area is a mess! All I have there is camping furniture (two chairs, a table, and a cot as a "couch").

The final photos are from Monday morning, December 4, my first day at work. What else but snow!

It took me more than a week to organize getting phone/DSL service to the apartment. That is one of the two major reasons for lack of posting. The other? Not much time! Every new job has a learning curve, and I have been placed where I am literally overwhelmed by just the names and faces, never mind that the whole governmental structure is different, and there are critical differences in the legal requirements for meetings, etc. That plus, when I get home at night, there is the whole cooking/cleaning part of life.

This post is being done from Connecticut....yes, I am back for the holidays. While I have a list of "homework" tasks to do, I will post more frequently for the next week, because I will have more unstructured time to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment