Friday, May 26, 2006

A Home for Bloggers in ALA

I floated the idea of creating a Blogging Round Table within ALA on April 11, and revised it on April 13. My friend Mary Ghikas of ALA has been in touch with me about the organizational possibilities, and talked about something that is rare in ALA: Membership Initiative Groups (MIG).

So I have been thinking about what to do. Both require 100 members, but the MIGs are much more informal, require no dues, and only need to be approved by Council upon recommendation by the Committee on Organization (COO). [Side note: I have often wondered why COO gets to be one of the few parts of ALA which has not only a preposition capitalized, but the word "committee" as part of its acronym.]

If you want to see an MIG in action, the one I know about is holding a program in New Orleans.

I am currently thinking that we should do a Bloggers MIG. All we need is "a statement of purpose" and 100 signatures. I have asked Leslie Burger (the blogging President-Elect) to let me pass the petition at her soiree for bloggers on Saturday night. If you are going to be there, you can sign the petition, and pick up blanks to pass around at the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment