Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Job Hunting

Many of you know that this is currently a topic near and dear to my heart.

In catching up with my blog reading I found several posts which cover the topic, and most interesting to me, they were all by people I have met or know.

I was standing in Lowe's in New Orleans a few weeks ago, and started chatting with a guy wearing a T-shirt which said "Info * Bitch." Who should it be, but Cliff Landis. He handed me his Moo card, and I thought to myself, "I know that name....why?" I later read Karen Schneider's post which talked about Cliff's original list. [Now Cliff is an interesting person. Visit his site. He covers more than just library stuff.] Cliff is also a good enough person to be able to deal with constructive comments, and even posted a second time about the comments he received.

It was good to read Cliff's list and has reminded me of several points which I think I have let slip a little. As I send out cover letters and resumes, I am reminded of the importance of tailoring each letter, and probably need to do that more carefully than I have in the past.

At the same time, I am in a different place than those to whom Karen offers her wise advice. I am primarily looking at jobs where I would be the director, there is not a lot more "upselling" that I need to do.

As I work on my job search, I have found some good reminders.

I also ran across this great list from a college web site listing over 100 places to look for library jobs. [I am sticking it here mostly for me to be able to find it, but if it helps others, I am happy.]

No comments:

Post a Comment