Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sorrow

It has been quiet here lately. Partly because my mother has not been well. Earlier this afternoon, I heard from one of my brothers that she died peacefully in her sleep at age 82. Posted here is one of the last really good pictures before she began not feeling well a couple years ago. It was taken en route back from dropping my daughter off at college (hence the Boston University shirt on yours truly). Once the obituaries run (tomorrow or the next day), I will also link to them.

When she had a major health crisis this past fall, I spent time with my brothers and sisters. We spent some quality time together and dealt with planning a number of the hard issues, including visiting the funeral home and the local church. That planning has made this particular crisis easier than it otherwise might have been.

The second photo was taken two Christmases ago. It shows my mother and me with all my brothers and sisters ("the siblings" to some of my friends and colleagues). In this photo are (l to r): front: me, Paul, Mom, Peter, Thomas; rear: Meg (Margaret), Beth (Elizabeth), Helen, and Sue (Susetta).

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that, Michael. Thinking of you...

    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm glad your family was able to plan ahead. As part of a family who had to make it up as we went along, know that it was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Michael, my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sorry for your loss, Michael. You will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete