Monday, June 16, 2008

Transitions

It is now public and official. I will be leaving the L E Phillips Memorial Public Library in Eau Claire as of July 5. There has been a breakdown in the relationship between me and the Library Board.

This is not new news to the folks in Eau Claire (thanks to the newspaper) or to my children and family.

There is a limit to what I can say. I am leaving here with my head held high. This is a great community, and I have received incredible support from my staff here and from many members of the community.

Where I will go next is still up in the air. I have a number of irons in the fire. I will have interviews at the ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim. Where my personal adventure takes me next, I don't know.

I will continue to live in Eau Claire for the time being. After all, it is relatively cheap to live here. In early July, I will retrieve the last of my personal belongings from Connecticut and have all of my "stuff" in one city -- Eau Claire. It is sort of half-way between the coasts, even if it is further north than the mid-point.

Rest assured that this blog will not disappear, and I will even promise to blog some or all of my adventures in Anaheim.

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. That really stinks. That's the tough part about being a manager, when something happens with your job, everybody on the planet knows about it. I am saddened to hear about your news. Good luck to you and I may see you in Anaheim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not being a manager that creates issues; usually it's the executives. The firing of a middle manager - say, head of reference services - doesn't usually make it to the library media.

    It is to be hoped, Michael, that you'll find a job where you'll be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,

    Sorry to hear this news. All of us in director jobs are in highly visible, surprisingly fragile positions. The great thing about the social web is that we can all continue to work together, albeit in different ways.

    Good luck!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you don't roam too far--you've been a welcome addition to Wisconsin. Some decry the job insecurity of the special librarian, but few consider that the job security of the public library director, as an at-will employee, is a tightrope walk. Best wishes and keep in touch.

    --John DeB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Michael, you are in my thoughts. My guess is that now that the shoe has dropped you are feeling much lighter. You have done great in LibraryLand, and you'll do great in the future.

    ReplyDelete