Monday, February 13, 2006

Homework: Gravy or Sauce; the Attic stairs

I've actually been home for most of the last couple of weekends. Super Bowl weekend, I spent part of Saturday making homemade tomato sauce (or spaghetti sauce, if you prefer). I got to thinking about what I was making. (By the way, it was with tomatoes from our garden which had been in the freezer for a while...) When I first came to Bridgeport, one of my staff used to talk about going home and "making gravy" for dinner. I didn't get it at first. She was talking about making sauce. Apparently, in some circles, at least here in Bridgeport, it is called gravy. I haven't tracked down which Italian immigrants use this term, but it is on the to do list.

I also finished up work on the attic door. With my son's help I installed it January 2. As you can see from the first photo, I took off the casing, and exposed the previous paint job on the ceiling--green! So, Super Bowl weekend I took the old casing and re-trimmed the door. Of course, nothing in the house is square, and the new door fit slightly differently than the old, so shaving down the casing was needed. That is photo #2. Finally Saturday and yesterday, I finished the priming and painting for the finished look.


I'll note that the first and third photos are the same angle, the middle photo was taken from the top of the stairs from the first floor looking down the hall at the spot where the other two photos were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment